Friday, June 3, 2016

Product Review: Park & Sun Pro 2000 Volleyball System

Some fellow volleyball enthusiasts found the Park & Sun Pro 2000 volleyball net for sale at Costco.  I have heard of the Spectrum 2000 and the Spectrum Pro, but never a Pro 2000.  It looked like a decent net and it was a good price, so naturally I had to buy one and check it out!  Here is my in-depth review!

Background

I've been playing grass volleyball for about 25 years.  I bought my first net about 15 years ago - a low end Centerline net.  About 5 years ago, I bought a Park and Sun Spectrum Classic and love it.  I'm on the Board of Directors for the Utah Outdoor Volleyball Association (www.uova.org) and have been purchasing nets for them for 3-4 years when we made the switch to the Spectrum Classic.  Before getting on the board, I used to set up nets at tournaments so I could play for free.  So I've set up quite a few grass nets over the years.  My comparison is primarily against the Spectrum Classic.

Official Description

I haven't been able to find this net on parksun.com, but this is from their Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/p/BFwj5-6orkK/):

Park & Sun Sports was contacted to develop an affordable, but high quality portable volleyball net system for Costco, just in time for summer. The PRO 2000 was designed for the occasional family outing at an unbelievable price thanks to Cotsco’s purchasing power.
This system has the original Sleeve Net design as out Spectrum Volleyball net systems and quality hardware, all supported by a two piece steel pole, with a bottom pole that flips for switching from Women’s to Men’s height. Just add a sand adapter kit and make it a day at the beach while playing your favorite game!
Get to a your local Costco and pick up your set today! 


Out of the Box - Grade: C

It appears that some of the savings on this system is in assembly.  The main thing that needs to be done is putting the net on the poles.  The included instructions do a good job of describing the process.  It really isn't a big deal to do, but just something that you don't have to do on the Classic. This should be a one-time deal - it doesn't need to be undone after each time you use the net so subsequent set ups are much simpler.  The other thing that irks me is that they include the boundary lines and the cord winder, but they don't put the boundary on the winder.  Theoretically it should roll out easily but it never seems to turn out that way and can easily take half an hour to untangle.  When you put it away on the winder, it will be easier to unwind next time.

Parts Breakdown

Net - Grade: A

I really like the black and yellow colors.  Maybe it's just that it is different than the blue, yellow and orange that we get for our Classics, but it's a cool different.  The net has the nice wide 3" bindings like the Classic.  Other than having to install it on the poles, it is on par with the Classic.  I like the Sleeve Net design.  It makes for quick setup and take down, and allows a tight net the ball will bounce out of without fussing with adjusting a bunch of ties.

Poles - Grade: B

Like the Classic, the poles have a 2" diameter.  Unlike the aluminum Classic poles, the Pro 2000 poles are made of steel which makes the set heavier.  Also, the poles are designed differently to have a "Flip Height Adjustment."  The bottom pole flips one direction for men's height, and the other direction for women's, but the middle setting for Coed that you get on the Classic isn't there on the Pro 2000.  If you don't need the Coed height, this isn't a big deal.  The way it is designed, though, doesn't allow the bottom pole to slide up inside the top pole for storage.  The set includes bottom caps that you can switch from one end of the bottom of the pole to the other if you are changing the net height.


Guylines - Grade: A

Identical to the Spectrum Classic:  5/16" rope with foam grip handles.  I like these better than the ring tensioners in the Spectrum 2000.

Stakes - Grade: A

This one was possibly the biggest surprise for me.  The stakes in the Pro 2000 are 10" stainless steel, with a hooked top.  I wasn't sure what to think of these.  They looked cheaper than the wide head 12" stakes in the Classic.  But when I set it up, they felt solid and I like the way the guylines hook on to these stakes.  I usually add a couple links of chain to my Classic guylines so the stakes won't fray the guylines, and also so the stakes can be replaced with a narrower head stake from the local home improvement store.  I'm not worried about the fraying.  I still might add the chain so I can use other stakes, but don't feel any urgency for it.  The hooks can also be used to pull other stakes out of the ground.  That comes in handy after a stake has spent all day with the ground hardening around it.

Boundaries - Grade: B

  
The boundary line is 1/4" rope with steel pegs in the corners and red markers in the centers.  The steel pegs are 6" which I feel are kind of long.  The longer they are, the harder they are to get all the way into the ground without getting bent.  The picture on the box makes it look like the ends are crimped to them selves on the last stake, but on my set they just tied the two ends together with a simple knot.  Didn't seem very professional.  Maybe another labor-saving cost cutting measure.  The court is full/long court 30'x60' which is great for family ball.  If you are going to just be playing doubles and want a short court, because the corner stakes are just knotted on, you could untie it and shorten each side.  If you want a more finished look, get some hog rings (yes, that's a real thing) and crimp the corners and ends.

Ball and Pump - Grade: C

If you are used to playing with a good $40-$50 ball like the Wilson AVP, Spalding KOB, etc, then this ball won't add any value to the set for you.  If you are buying this for family shindigs, it's actually a decent ball.  A little marshmallow-ish which is great for unseasoned arms. 

The pump looks pretty cheap, but it worked well enough to pump up the ball, at least once.  I REALLY like the design of the handle which holds 2 needles, one on each side.  I don't expect it to last long, but it's a nice perk.

Price/Value - Grade: A

This is where I was blown away.  The price at Costco was $89.99.  They also had an additional instant $20 rebate when I picked mine up putting me at around $75 after tax.  For the quality of system, this is an amazing deal.  Even at $90, you are less than half the price of the Spectrum Classic.   I'm a cheapskate on most things, and I'm sure you can find cheaper sets at Wal-Mart but the quality will be rubbish compared to this set.

Overall - Grade: B

I would highly recommend this net system whether you are just getting something to have in the garage to pull out for the kids to bring to the park, or for family reunions, or if you are a regular recreational player to practice on between weekend tournaments.  If this set was around when I bought my Classic, I would have opted for this one instead.  It will be interesting to if the steel poles hold up like the aluminum poles of the Classic.  If they do, this purchase is a no brainer.  With Costco's great return policy, it feels like a safe purchase.  I would grade the Spectrum Classic higher, but I think the Pro 2000 is a much better value.  If money is no object, go with the Classic.  If you are on a budget or a penny-pincher like me, go with the Pro 2000.

If you have questions, comment below.  Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. How has the net been holding up? The poles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I broke my finger a couple weeks after writing this and haven't used it very much at all. We are going to put some into our rotation at our weekly tournaments next summer and I'll try to remember to update this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete